Wednesday 7 September 2011

BOOBY CLUB

Well Wednesday can only mean one thing and that is Booby Club as it is affectionately known in our house or to give it its proper name the breastfeeding cafe that I volunteer at.  E, the midwife who I work with, was on annual leave today so twas me on my lonesome and well it was fairly uneventful.  Just one gorgeous little three week old girl with her lovely mommy and daddy who were doing extremely well and didn't really need much other than a bit of moral support and encouragement.

If you do not know me personally and are now tempted to stop reading this blog entry because you think that I am the "Breastapo" as we seem to have been affectionately labelled then please think again.  My agenda is not to guilt trip or force women who do not want to breastfeed into breastfeeding.  How you choose to feed your baby is exactly that, a choice.  My passion is to ensure that all women are given enough accurate information to make an informed decision about how they feed their baby and that those women who choose to breastfeed are given the information and support that so many of them are so desperate for to be able to continue to feed.  Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, but definitely not the easiest.  There are huge ups and downs along the way, especially in those early days, so some families need all of the support that they can get and unfortunately that support isn't always readily available which is where volunteer peer supporters come in.

Believe it or not I was one of those women who, prior to getting that elusive positive pregnancy test, wasn't really that fussed about breastfeeding and in fact I'd go as far as to say that I really wasn't keen on the idea, but because I knew about the health benefits I thought that I would give it a go regardless of my reservations, although I have to say that I didn't think for one second that I would be successful.

It was only when I found out on day four that A had lost 12% of her birth weight and it was suggested to me that I may need to top her up with formula that I realised how much I actually wanted to breastfeed.  This is by no means a reflection on those who formula feed their babies, like I said before it is a personal choice, but to be honest the thought of having to give her formula (probably combined with a whole host of hormones) made me cry and so that is when the concerted effort began.  You know I am still, to this day,  totally amazed and surprised at how quickly my view about breastfeeding changed.

For me breastfeeding A&D was a wonderful experience that I am so happy to have had, but it took me a good while of sleep deprivation, sore nipples, thrush, constant feeding, engorged breasts, etc, etc before I came to that conclusion.  That wonderful experience is what prompted me to become a peer supporter; so many women have such a tough time with breastfeeding and give up because they feel that they have no other choice and the support that they need is not available to them.  I hate the thought that so many women, when they look back at their time breastfeeding, have that negative and upsetting association with it.  My aim when I am working with women is simply to do what I can to help them get out the other side so that, instead of that negative association, they know what a wonderful experience breastfeeding can be.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know how you survived feeding twins in the early days, it is hard enough with a singleton! But it is so worth it. I think that support for new mums is shocking, i had little input with Caoimhe, but this time completely different which i am pleased about for other people, although i haven't needed it!
    Keep up the good work Rach! It is a truly wonderful experience and you're right that women miss out on it because they don't know enough about it or get supported through the tough times. Ladies like you are a fantastic resource xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nursed 4 babies during the 50's and early 60's. My biggest problem was I had too much milk and had to pump my breast to get relief. My baby always sleep with me until they were 6 mo. old or quit nursing during the night. I kept clean diapers by the bed (yes, no disposals back then). When my baby would wake during the night and want to eat, I nuzzled him to me and after he was finished eating, I checked his diaper, changed it if necessary. laid him across my tummy until he went back to sleep. Then placed him back beside me and we both went back to sleep. Yes, I know this put me in the middle, but my husband and I both did not do a lot of tossing around during the night. I never lost any sleep due to one of my babies being sick or for any other reason. Breast fed babies don't seem to have colic at least that is what my mom and both of my grannies told me and mine didn't either. One of the nicest things I had from nursing was I did not have my monthly period until I weaned my baby. If I started weaning the 1st of this month, my period started the 1st of next month. I had two girls and two boys and they have all been very healthy.

    ALL I CAN SAY IS "YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO HEAVEN AND BACK IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD A TINY BABY LOOK UP AT YOU AND SMILE WHILE THEY ARE NURSING"!!!!.

    ReplyDelete